Friday, November 13, 2009

Toxic Food

We all know, or most of us know, that giving chocolate to your dog is very dangerous even life threatening because it contains caffeine, theobromine, or theophylline, which can be toxic and affect the heart and nervous systems.but did you know that macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs? A small portion, we are talking an ounce, can cause temporary paralysis to the hind quarters of a twenty pound dog! If you suspect your dog has ingested these nuts get him/her to the vet immediately; where he/she will probably be induced to vomit and given charcoal and be placed on an IV of fluids. Once the treatments are completed the paralysis is gone in a few days.

1 comment:

~Marie~ said...

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea macadamia nuts were bad. Good thing I don't give Peanut too much stuff that he shouldn't have. Now if only I could convince my dad to stop, that is the real challenge.