Monday, August 31, 2009

Life the easy way


It has been an interesting week, so much drama in my circle world of friends and family. It has been difficult for me to “wrap” my arms around the new persona of someone I consider family, due to the “new’ her. It has caused a bit of a ripple in the relationship she and I once shared as well as the relationship I have with her husband and my best friend (her Aunt by marriage). I have learned this week that I cannot and don’t have to accept all things done by others and that I have to stay true to myself and do so without hurting others if at all possible.

I have also been trying to accept the medical difficulties I have been undergoing the last four months and learning to live my life around medication side effects, the fatigue, and the lack of strength in my hands, the constant pain, and the many doctor appointments. I have always been such a go-go-go person, and now I have to learn to take things slow and easy…which I am finding is not a bad place to be if I can keep the bills paid and my household happy.

The time I get to spend with my three dogs and twenty year old cat has been so special to me, it is as if this is what I was meant to do. Teach them, play with them, train them, care for them, and lots of naps with them!

I am slowly accepting I am changing, not so much for the better physically (rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia) but spiritually and mentally. Slowly fading are the once must follow rules and phrases such as, “the one with the most toys wins”, and “my house is bigger than your house”, “Don’t you just love my new Jag”, and “Where is your summer home located?” and “my job title is more prestige than yours”; I have learned the simple moments are the ones to treasure. Such as a soft nose nuzzle from Brock, or a funny look from Otis, or a paw on my hand from Marley as we nap. Or the simple pleasure of sitting with hubby and just watching a football game or snuggling on the couch just doing nothing; a day hanging out and shopping with my best friend even if we don’t buy anything, an afternoon on the patio with my BFF sharing our day’s events and a cup of coffee. So much in life is free and worth more than you can ever imagine, if you will only open your mind and your heart and keep your wallet closed.

Have a bow-wow day.

2 comments:

~Marie~ said...

I hope you feel better soon. But you just have to take each day one at a time. That's what we do in my family. My mom has MS and she goes on so many doc appt's that it can be just crazy some weeks.

CC said...

Marie, thank you so much for the comment, I will certainly do as you say...it is the best advise for me right now.