Monday, January 19, 2009

My Otis

I have been watching my oldest dog Otis over the last few weeks more closely, and he has become more of a mama’s boy then ever. I think it is the fact that after Sandy died a year ago October, whom was here before him, he had his time to grieve as I did, and then time alone with mommy and then Marley came. It was about 6 months after Marley arrived that Marley’s brother arrived, all shy and looking so pitiful and lonely. So yes, Marley was a new pup that I held on my chest every night and snuggled with, Brock took some time to come around to me but if I had not spent some time alone with him he may still be shy, so poor Otis whom I love to death is feeling a bit left out.

He is so gentle and funny and the most devoted dog I have been adopted by. When we are outside he is either doing his business or right at my side. At times he will go and get his ball to play and we stay out for sometime just throwing the ball and I watching as he runs the yard playing keep away.

When it is time to go in I will call them all and say, “Inside.” The other two will run like the wind or as if there is a big juicy steak inside waiting for them, but Otis, no way, he stands beside me until I take my first step towards the door and then he will begin his decent inside. If I stop, even just get two steps behind him, he stops as well and looks back to see what happened to me.

What a comfort to know that when life gets me down and I have a bad day, my Otis is right there to lick my face, give me a shake, and kiss my cheek as if to say, “it’s okay mommy, you are home now with me and I love you, so please smile for me.” How could I not when he is staring at me with his big brown eyes and goofy grin.

2 comments:

~Marie~ said...

Awww....Otis sounds delightful. I love that Peanut is always so happy to see me, no matter what kind of day I have.

Irene said...

You are very lucky to have such a lovely dog who loves you so. Almost better than having a human being love you, don't you think? Dogs love you with such innocence.