Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Today is New Year’s Eve

Today is New Year’s Eve, the eve of new beginnings and the day we make our resolutions for the glorious New Year about to unfold. We are supposed to pack away all the ugly and forgettable experiences of the past year and make promises to ourselves of greater things to be; a new wiped clean slate in which we commence the incoming year with promise and hope.

The gym memberships rise this time of year as does I am sure the sales of natural vitamins and many are stocking their refrigerators with healthy and organic foods as they prepare for the new “you”. Lists are composed detailing the outline of their changed behavior, quit smoking, lose weight, eat healthy, finish projects already began months ago or maybe even start a new one. Clean the closet in your bedroom, de-clutter the curio cabinet, train the dog to do tricks, we all have something on our lists that is either telling us to stop something or to start something.

I have not made such a list this year, I am okay with my life; oh sure I do need to lose a few pounds (okay more like a few in the 10 pound range), I should quit smoking, and I do need to clean my closet, but why do I need to say it has to happen tomorrow morning? Isn’t that just setting myself up for failure? Telling the whole world I have finally, once and for all, made the decision to do what I have been unable to do now for years. As if something magical happens at midnight and just like that my mind is overflowing with only high expectations and goal orientated good, I can tell you right now, it won’t happen.

Oh I know I will eventually clean out the closet, lose a few pounds, and hopefully quit smoking without gaining another twenty pounds, but I will do this on my time, not the world clock and I will not be at the gym tomorrow morning in my spandex on a treadmill fooling myself into believing that because the date has changed I have also changed.

I am forever evolving and changing, we all are to some degree, but for tonight I will share some time with friends, kiss hubby at midnight, and go to sleep knowing I am a good human with kindness in my heart and hopeful dreams that someday I will ultimately reach all my goals, but not in one day with the world watching.

Happy New Year everyone, and please, go easy on yourselves and be safe.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Hope your New Years goes good and that you do your goals at your own pace. I hope your 2009 is a good one. Oh and I'm glad you got to keep Brock.

~Marie~ said...

Happy New Year!!!