Friday, September 19, 2008

The last day...

Today we are preparing for the departure of our German daughter tomorrow morning. We went out to dinner last night with a good friend of ours and had a wonderful time eating, drinking, and enjoying each others view of the world, American politics, and allowed each person their opportunity to share thoughts on anything and everything that came to mind.

As I sit here writing Katharina is sound asleep in her bedroom, the dogs are lying all around me, and the cat is doing what he does best, sleeping. Spencer sleeps about 22 hours a day, most of the time on the back of the coach awaiting the afternoon sunbeams to fall upon his face.

The last time Katharina was here I took the day before she left off from work to help her pack, and boy was it a good thing I did! We used three space bags, all afternoon, and most of our energy trying to place everything into the two suitcases and be sure that neither one went above 100 pounds, now this part was not easy, and the scale for that one day, was my friend. Hasn’t been since, but that is an entirely different story for another time.

Today I have allowed Kat to prepare and pack on her own, I know she will still be packing and asking me what she is missing right up until 10 minutes before we leave at 6 tomorrow morning. That is okay, it is her, and I love her just the way she is. She would not be Kat if she did not ask me questions such as, “do I need sunglasses?” as she is hurrying out the door to a football game as Lennie is waiting in the car. This young lady is about to embark on one great adventure living and backpacking in one after another countries across the continent of South America, but yet she still need me (yes me!) to know if she needs sunglasses. I will not be with her on this journey except for in spirit and hopefully in her heart, but she will be with me everyday and I will sit and anxiously await every email with pride and anticipation on when I will see her again face to face.

No comments: